Sunday, April 13, 2008

Not Fond of Font


Since I started attending Cal State L.A for a graphic design major, Ive found myself enjoying some classes (painting) while stressing out and doubting others. I used to believe that if my works of art needed letters, I would just paint them in any manner of my choosing. Now I'm learning that there is infinite possibilities of typography I can add to my artwork. Finding the right type, and font for a certain art piece is still a work in progress. I'm learning more and more each day, for example: I might like my first idea but it may not be the best, 50 tries later I start seeing something I really enjoy a lot more. I am also not fond of criticism, and no matter how hurt I get, in the end I find it helpful, because other people see things that I might have missed.

2 comments:

Nadia said...

No one like criticism. I often tuned out on the neg. thing in the crit. and try to ignore it. However, criticism does help us to grow.

Christian Campos said...

I agree with you when you feel like you are being restricted as a designer... I come from a graffiti background and that was my earliest experience of design that I can remember. But the beautiful thing about typography is that although there's a whole kind of anal scientific study to it, the artist is not always restricted to follow the rules. Ragging can sometimes be exagerrated. Linespacing works well with semantic interpretations.

As a designer you are constantly being trained and tested to see how far you can bend the rules of visual elements you are working with. That was my whole philosophy of graffiti when I was younger, and now that I gained a bit more order and knowledge from design concepts, I feel that I can do whatever I want to any of my designs. The list just keeps getting bigger and bigger...

So I feel that restrictions are just a structured rules behind the concept of design, but i don't feel that design is meant to always follow it.